|Owner||National Archives and Records Administration|
Teresa James of Pittsburgh, PA was one of the 28 original members of the Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron, which then changed its name to the Womens Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) in 1944. Her job was to fly airplanes from factories to airfields throughout the United States. After WASP disbanded, James was certified to fly 20 different types of aircraft. She, along with dozens of other women, proved that women could significantly impact the U.S. military. She retired in 1976 as a major in the U.S. Airforce Reserves. This image is located on east column G of the memorial.